uwtja secondary 796x275 comm table 2

Financial Assistance

If you are in a financial crisis, don’t wait until your payments are due or overdue to take action.  If you anticipate going into debt, seek assistance immediately.

Banks and Creditors

Banks and creditors to which you owe money should be notified immediately of your situation.  Many companies will work with you by adjusting payments until you get back on your feet.  Notifying them is the first step in obtaining their cooperation.

Emergency Financial Assistance

Charlottesville Helpline (434) 234-4490

*Only takes calls between 11am and 2pm, Monday-Friday. 

Serves as a clearinghouse for Albemarle and Charlottesville residents requiring limited emergency financial assistance with utilities, rent or mortgage, financial counseling, and referrals to other agencies.


If you fall behind in utility bills, taking the time to discuss your situation with these companies may mean that a payment plan can be worked out for you.  Help with heat-related utilities may be available during the winter months through special government and other funding sources.

Dominion Virginia Power | 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357)

Charlottesville Gas Assistance Program  (434)970-3222

Charlottesville Gas Division  (434) 970-3800

Jefferson Area Board for Aging Emergency Services  (434)817-5222    

Sprint/Link-up Carolina—Offers reduced telephone rates for Medicaid recipients.    A social worker must complete an application for the client.

Credit Counseling and Money Management

The following agency can assist you in contacting creditors, negotiating a payment plan or resolving any other difficulties you may have with creditors:

Clearpoint Financial Solutions  (434) 977-9596                                                           

300 Preston Avenue, Suite 200

Offers free presentations on budgeting, wise use of credit, identity theft and many other financial topics. Also, you can learn how to obtain and understand your credit report.

MACAA (Monticello Community Action Agency)  (434) 295-3171                                   

1025 Park Street, Charlottesville

Offers regular financial education training classes and free one-on-one individual financial counseling. Call for information on upcoming classes and individual counseling options.

Piedmont Housing Alliance  (434) 817-2436

111 Monticello Ave Suite 104, Charlottesville                                                            

Piedmont Housing Alliance (PHA) Financial Literacy Education and Outreach Program-provides instructor led modules that covers money management and budgeting, how to read a credit report and understanding credit scores, credit repair, tips on avoiding predatory loans, identity theft and a guide to homeownership. For more information and class schedules, contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 434-817-2436.

UVA Community Credit Union  (434)964-2001                                   

At Credit Union branches in Charlottesville, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Greene

The UVA Community Credit Union offers free financial education seminars at its local branches. Additional financial education services are available to credit union members; free seminars are open to anyone in the community.

Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) -- Your local extension agency can provide you with financial management assistance.  Call for more information:

VCE Charlottesville/Albemarle County  (434)872-4580                      

460 Stagecoach Road, Charlottesville           

VCE Fluvanna County    (434)591-1950                             

132 Main Street, Palmyra                       

VCE Greene County  (434) 985-5236                                                           

10013 Spotswood Trail, Stanardsville           

VCE Louisa County | (540) 967-3422                       

1 Woolfolk Avenue, Louisa           

VCE Nelson County  (434) 263-4035                             

8445 Thomas Nelson Highway, Lovingston                                                           

Public Assistance/Social Services

To supplement family income, contact your local Department of Social Services for Food Stamps, medical insurance and public assistance.  Call for an appointment first.

Albemarle County  (434) 972-4010

    1600 5th Street Extended, Charlottesville                                                           

City of Charlottesville  (434)970-3400

    120 7th Street NE, City Hall Annex, Charlottesville                                                           

Fluvanna County  (434)842-8221

     8880 B James Madison Highway, Fork Union

Greene County  (434) 985-5246

    10009 Spotswood Trail, Stanardsville                                                           

Louisa County  (540) 967-1320

     103 McDonald Street, Louisa                                                           

Nelson County  (434)263-7160

     8445 Thomas Nelson Highway, Lovingston 

Helpful Hints When Seeking Assistance

When you go to an agency for assistance, you can help them help you by bringing all of the information you have relating to your situation.

Be prepared to:

  • Explain how you got into your situation/what caused it.
  • Explain what steps you have taken to improve your situation.
  • Explain what money of yours will be contributed to the need.

You should bring:

  • All documents verifying your situation (such as disconnection and eviction notices)
  • A list of your monthly expenses, pay stubs or other income verification
  • Picture identification

For Social Services benefits, be prepared to provide:

  • Pay stubs or other income verification
  • Utility bills
  • Copy of lease/rental agreement
  • Birth certificate/verification
  • Positive identification, i.e. Social Security card